Send us your Diwali story or a story of your experience with South Asian Culture.
A story that will floor us. Or make us cry. Or have us in splits.
There are no themes. All you need to do is bowl our judges over.
- 1 (one) winner in each category (6-11 years / 12-17 years/ 18 years & above)
- Gift cards worth $30.00 IN EACH CATEGORY to local South Orange / Maplewood Businesses.
- Story published in the Diwali Fest program for 2019
- One-on-one editorial feedback from the judges to the winner of the contest.
*****KIDS under 18 years of age will need to be accompanied by a parent/ guardian to claim their prize*****
Your stories will be read by the judges and by our social medial followers!
The story will feature prominently on our event page and website. Not to mention, there will be a widespread publicity campaign around it.
- Each contestant can only send in 1 story, so send in your best.
- Stories cannot be longer than 300 words.
- Love multimedia? Embellish your stories with pictures or art. But it must be original and your own. No plagiarism please!
- Contest is open to everyone who lives in the United States of America and wishes to participate. Excluded participants are family and relatives of the judges, festival organizers and board members of SOMA-CCW.
- Entries close on Oct 22, 2018
- Winners will be announced on Oct 28, 2018 during Diwali Fest and on our social media.
Know your JUDGES
Sangeeta Rao is Assistant Dean responsible for Student Development at Rutgers Business School, including Women’s Business Leadership Development, and Mentoring programs for undergraduate and MBA students. She has a Doctorate in Communication Studies from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and has lived in Maplewood with her family since 2003.
Renee Joyce is Supervisor (grades 6-12) of Special Services in the South Orange Maplewood School District. Earlier, she served as Director of Montrose Early Childhood Center, the school district’s pre-school program. Renee is a Social Worker and Educator with a strong interest in cultural inclusiveness.
Submit your entry through the form below: